Fairness WV is Hiring: Communications Manager
Fairness West Virginia, the state’s leading LGBTQ civil rights organization based in Charleston, seeks a full-time Communications Manager to help guide our communications strategy, publicize our work throughout the state, and advance our public education programs in West Virginia. The Communications Manager will report directly to Fairness West Virginia’s Executive Director.
Fairness West Virginia has been fighting for the Mountain State’s LGBTQ community for 10 years. Our mission is to ensure that LGBTQ West Virginians can be open, honest, and safe at home, at work, and in the community. We help West Virginia communities to adopt LGBTQ-inclusive nondiscrimination ordinances. We have also defeated every anti-gay bill in the state Legislature for the past five years and helped pass a law allowing transgender West Virginians to change the gender marker on their driver’s licenses.
• Manage all aspects of media relations, including writing and disseminating press releases and advisories, pitching stories to targeted reporters, fielding media requests, managing a media database, drafting talking points, arranging interviews with Fairness spokespersons, and coaching spokespersons.
• Assist in the development, design, editing, finalizing, or production of eblast communications.
• Develop and design brochures, fliers, fact sheets, t-shirts and other branded materials.
• Help with communication needs for major events (Lobby Day, public hearings, press conferences, legislative fundraiser, gay pride festivals, gala, etc.)
• Support efforts to build and manage an online presence for Fairness, helping to ensure that content is engaging, up-to-date, and results in measurable action; develop and manage posting of content for web site and social media.
• Aid in planning public events to further educate the public on issues impacting the LGBTQ community as identified by the Executive Director.
• Assist in communications efforts during the West Virginia legislative session.
• Occasional speech and grant writing.
• Occasional public speaking.
• A few years of experience in communications/marketing and/or relevant academic experience preferred.
• Strong written and oral communications skills.
• Familiarity with framing and messaging about LGBTQ people.
• Commitment to Fairness West Virginia’s mission.
• Strong project multi-tasking skills.
• Experience with online organizing and communication.
• Personal enthusiasm and optimism, along with a sense of humor.
• Creativity; results-oriented, self-starting attitude (someone who will proactively offer communications
ideas); willingness to work evenings and weekends and travel the state as needed.
• Proficiency with computers: Windows, Microsoft Office, familiarity with design software and video editing preferred.
Salary dependent on experience. Benefits include medical and dental insurance (fully paid by employer), and generous
vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
How to apply
Please email cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to email@example.com. Applications should include “Communications Manager” in the subject field. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Fairness West Virginia Institute is an equal opportunity employer.